In order to make my fantasy series-in preparation, the Shine Cycle, into anything approaching what I envision without Herculean (if not Sisyphean) effort, I need a great deal of technological assistance. Many of my needs are fully met, but there are still a few programs I need that apparently don’t exist:
- A “fictional cartographer” to manage a vast world in detail without requiring me to come up with the details that I hadn’t thought about yet. (I later reduced my requirements somewhat.
- A “fictional historiographer” that can manage the individual histories of hundreds of characters through several centuries of an imagined world’s history.
And there are similar programs that I feel I need for “my digital life” in general:
- A cross-paradigm task management/to-do-list program that can handle thousands of tasks without slowing my system to a crawl.
- Something that will save and maintain what I’m doing across computer crashes and reboots, properly.
- A universal source-based Linux package manager, that will install, track dependencies and upgrades for, etc., packages in any of the major package managers’ source formats.
- Something to help me keep a self-imposed curfew by locking me out of my computer after a given time, but unlocking in the morning.
- Desktop versions of various “web applications”
- A multi-system incremental deduplicating backup system.
- Something to integrate the social features of WordPress and Blogger.
If you know of any programs that meet my requirements, or have any ideas on how I might go about writing such programs myself, please let me know.