Strategic Primer 2016 Review, 2017 Goals

With the coming of another year, I’m again looking back and forward, checking up on the goals I stated a year ago, and setting new goals for 2017. I began with most of my goals on Saturday, and continued with my Shine Cycle-related goals on Monday; today, a look at Strategic Primer, the strategy game I’ve been developing in one form or another for many years, starting with the goals I set a year ago.

2015 Goals

Campaign

  • Goal: Finish at least two turns, including the current one, in the current campaign.

Almost. We finished the then-current turn, and if I received the final player strategy that I’m waiting on today I could probably finish the fifteenth turn within a couple of weeks.

  • Stretch Goal: (Successfully) recruit at least one more player to join the campaign.

I still haven’t found anyone who expressed any interest.

  • Stretch Goal: Finish resolving all of the “map TODOs” left in the world map.

This, on the other hand, I finished back in June, except for a few items that I’d marked as “TBD” instead of “TODO” and fixed last month.

Assistive Programs Development

  • Goal: Implement, or definitively decide against, at least a quarter (i.e. at least four) of the items on the “roadmap” above.
  • Stretch Goal: Implement, or definitively decide against, at least half (eight) of the items on the “roadmap” above.

Five, by my current count.

  • Goal: Create at least one more player-useful application for the suite.

I created a “tabular report generator” in May, but I’m not sure whether that really qualifies.

Miscellaneous

  • Goal: Get the new blog set up and publicly visible, with at least thirteen posts on it, by the end of the year.
  • Stretch Goal: Have at least twenty-six posts on the new blog by the end of the year.

Since you’re reading this here, and not there, I obviously failed at this. On the other hand, I did start the process of revising content to prepare to post to the new blog; I merely decided to wait until that process was largely complete before putting the content up, so that any reordering is merely in my notes and not in WordPress.

2017 Goals

Here are my goals for the new year:

Campaign

For the campaign:

  • Goal: Finish at least three turns, including the present fifteenth turn, in the current campaign.
  • Stretch Goal: (Successfully) recruit at least one more player to join the campaign.

Assistive Programs Development

  • Goal: Implement, or definitively decide against, at least a quarter (i.e. at least four) of the items in the most recent “roadmap”
  • Stretch Goal: Implement, or definitively decide against, at least half (eight) of those items.
  • Goal: Implement changesets.

Miscellaneous:

  • Goal: Get the new blog set up and publicly visible, with at least thirteen posts (scheduled) on it, by the end of the year.
  • Stretch Goal: Have at least twenty-six posts (scheduled) on the new blog by the end of the year.
  • Goal: Finish my initial pass through the advance database estimating advance difficulty and listing (immediately obvious) dependencies.
  • Stretch Goal: Finish my pass through the old advance database, translating its advances into the current database.

We’ll see how these turn out.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s