Writing status update (#44)

It’s been about a month since my last report on recent development of the Shine Cycle, my fantasy series-in-preparation. The month has not been as productive as I had hoped, but with the time for my usual year-end plans looming it’s time to see how I did this month.

The “piling-on” of “snowflake step 3” continued, and stalled me for longer than I liked because (I eventually realized) Space and Time isn’t really properly planned, in any of the stages I’ve supposedly put it through, as a single story yet. I’ll still finish at least a cursory pass through this stage of its un-split development, but I’ve now added splitting the story up as a heavily-weighted (because while managing my digital notes will take only a few minutes, updating the relevant points in my task tracker will be quite time-consuming) task in my task tracker.

I also realized that Title Unknown is, in my current conception of it, probably not best suited for traditional fiction, but might be better suited for some form of interactive media, whether a tabletop RPG or a computer game of some sort … but that I don’t plan to explore at this point.

Anyway, these were my goals for the month:

  • Create, and schedule to run on this blog, the last précis.

Done. It’s now scheduled to run in the end of July of next year.

I got through Title Unknown and most of the way through Space and Time, but no further.

  • Create “character loglines” or “motivation summaries” for at least three characters.
  • Do at least some outlining of the Reignalmia sub-series.
  • Write at least one character biography.
  • Write at least one character history.
  • Reduce the length of the part of my answers to the “Wrede questions” not yet incorporated into “background essays” (future blog posts) by at least 15%. (It currently stands at just under 1500 lines and about 36,000 words.)
  • Write at least a hundred words of “actual prose.”

As I had feared, I got nothing else done on the Shine Cycle this month.

So I’m going to set essentially the same goals, with the “snowflake outlining” section somewhat reduced, for the next month. We’ll see.

  • Write my by-now-traditional liturgical-year-end blog posts.
  • As part of “snowflake outlining,” following the guidelines for that process, create profiles of all major characters in Space and Time, Third Empire, and The Invasion.
  • Create “character loglines” or “motivation summaries” for at least three characters.
  • Do at least some outlining of the Reignalmia sub-series.
  • Write at least one character biography.
  • Write at least one character history.
  • Reduce the length of the part of my answers to the “Wrede questions” not yet incorporated into “background essays” (future blog posts) by at least 15%. (It currently stands at just under 1500 lines and about 36,000 words.)
  • Write at least a hundred words of “actual prose.”

Maybe this month will see more actual progress.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s