Writing status update (#43)

In the month since my last report on recent development of the Shine Cycle, my fantasy series-in-preparation, I managed to accomplish what felt like a great deal, but I probably didn’t meet my stated goals because I hadn’t estimated the amount of work properly.

The big thing that came up this past month was the first “snowflake step 3,” which is “create a brief character profile for each central character”; when I originally scheduled that, it was as a “to-expand” task “create tasks for doing snowflake step 3 for …” I didn’t create the tasks for the individual steps in my task tracker until after I had posted the list of goals, and as the first story was also the one with the most arguably-central characters, finishing that took (by my admittedly-flawed “points estimates”) more than four-fifths of the completed “effort” for the month. (And a good chunk of the remaining tasks were setting up for the same process for the next two stories on the list.)

So I’m moderately pleased with how the month went for Shine Cycle development, but far less so with my prior planning. Anyway, here’s how I fared with the goals I had set:

  • Create, and schedule to run on this blog, the last précis.

I didn’t finish this, or even spend more than a few minutes on it, if that.

I finished this for Stone of Power, but not any of the others.

  • Create “character loglines” or “motivation summaries” for at least three characters.

One.

Nope.

  • Write at least one character biography.

Done.

  • Write at least one character history.

Nope.

  • Reduce the length of the part of my answers to the “Wrede questions” not yet incorporated into “background essays” (future blog posts) by at least 15%. (It currently stands at just under 1500 lines and about 36,000 words.)

Didn’t do anything on this project.

  • Write at least a hundred words of “actual prose.”

None, as usual.

Now, for the next month or so:

  • Create, and schedule to run on this blog, the last précis.
  • As part of “snowflake outlining,” following the guidelines for that process, create profiles of all major characters in Title Unknown, Space and Time, Third Empire, and The Invasion.
  • Create “character loglines” or “motivation summaries” for at least three characters.
  • Do at least some outlining of the Reignalmia sub-series.
  • Write at least one character biography.
  • Write at least one character history.
  • Reduce the length of the part of my answers to the “Wrede questions” not yet incorporated into “background essays” (future blog posts) by at least 15%. (It currently stands at just under 1500 lines and about 36,000 words.)
  • Write at least a hundred words of “actual prose.”

We’ll see.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s