Strategic Primer assistive programs development report and roadmap

It’s been several weeks since my last report on the development of my suite of assistive programs for players and Judges of Strategic Primer, so it’s time for another update.

As usual, you can download the new version from Bitbucket, and if you want to know more details than I list below, you can see the full history in the Mercurial repository or look at the task tracker.


This cycle only produced one major user-visible change: in the worker management “app,” the “report” that is shown to the right for the user’s reference is now a collapsible “tree” rather than merely a panel containing extensive text. To accomplish this I extended the report generator to produce “tree nodes,” which could then produce the equivalent HTML. But because early experiments showed that this slowed the report generator—and the worker management program if I used the “tree” rather than the rich-text report—by orders of magnitude, I didn’t commit this user-visible change until I had done what I could to improve performance.


The “roadmap” of planned features (which mostly agrees with the Pivotal Tracker backlog) is largely unchanged from previous months.

At the head of the list are a couple of interface issues, one somewhat simple, the other quite complex.

First is to make the apps a proper MDI application, with a Window menu keeping track of the windows and their status. And second, for users running Mac OSX, I want to improve the program so that each app behaves like a proper OSX app, adhering to the human interface and design guidelines. But these will take much thought, since my first “plans of attack” have foundered.

With it now possible for players to make changes to a known-world map and send it back, changesets are becoming somewhat more urgent.

Fairly soon—before the current API gets even more deeply ingrained—I want to properly implement and switch to (once I’ve demonstrated it won’t lose data) the new map API I developed a while back. Among other reasons, this should make implementing changesets somewhat easier.

Another fairly urgent item is “resource management,” eventually including resource production and resource storage accounting.

I hope to add larger images (“portraits”) for units and some other kinds of fixtures.

I want to write programs (just command-line interfaces for now, I think) to automate the more tedious parts of running a turn, such as agriculture, herding, food gathering, and hunting.

Among other planned features.

If you have any features you’d like me to add, or you run into any problems with the software, please let me know—perhaps using the issue tracker.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.