Strategic Primer assistive programs development report and roadmap

It’s been almost a month since my last report on the development of my suite of assistive programs for players and Judges of Strategic Primer, so it’s time for another update.

For more details of changes, you can see the full history in the Bitbucket repository.

Changes

The first change to mention is that, earlier this week, I moved the “main website” for the game from a Google Site to a wiki (associated with my private SP-data repository). The wiki is, like the site was, woefully out of date and incomplete—but, since I find editing a wiki using a text editor far easier than using an in-browser editor (particularly for tables) I hope to improve that somewhat in the coming weeks. If you’d like to help me improve the website, please let me know.

One big change to the code this past month was the addition of yet another serialization framework, which let me drop the weight and cruft of the old SimpleXML framework, finally getting a fairly clean separation between model objects and their XML representation.

The other major change is the addition of some support for unit details. A unit can now contain zero or more workers or other “unit members” (including animals, griffins, sphinxes, etc.). Workers have a little data representing their experience and skills. This is not represented in the UI, but it is read from and serialized to the XML, (I recommend players upgrade to at least version 1.4.1703, available from the Bitbucket downloads page, so that maps I give them in future won’t choke on these constructs.)

I also made a few bug and several warning fixes.

Roadmap

The number one item on the roadmap is fixture editing and UI support for unit details (basic model and I/O support for them having been added a few weeks ago). I have some ideas of how to go about these, and just need to buckle down and implement them. These still head the list because they should make running the current turn in the campaign much easier.

Another big item I’d like to get to is changesets. They, too, would make running the turn easier, once some additional code was added. But, like I’ve said before, I don’t really have a good idea of how to go about implementing them, so they’ll probably just sit for awhile longer.

I hope to add a “find” feature, so players don’t have to search the (increasingly “busy”) map by scrolling.

I hope to add larger images (“portraits”) for units and some other kinds of fixtures.

And I hope to let fixtures have custom images (so that different kinds of units use different icons).

Among other planned features.

If you have any features you’d like me to add, or you run into any problems with the software, please let me know—perhaps using the issue tracker.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s